I went to the market and picked up some beautiful veggies. I love whole roasted cauliflower. It picks up a texture that is so rich, hearty and inviting. I was going to just make the vinaigrette but decided to incorporate more of my lovely, fresh from the garden beauties. Voila! A meal all on its own.
Cauliflower with Roasted Veggie Vinaigrette:
1 head of Cauliflower
3-4 Tbl olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
1 lemon squeezed and zested
1 Tbl vinegar of choice (apple cider, balsamic, sherry all work really well)
parsley, basil, cilantro,dill (whatever fresh herbs you have handy, many are in season)
4-5 shiitake mushrooms (the are $10/pound at the market…great price and adds protein)
1 zucchini, sliced
1/2 onion , chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced
Kernels from 1 ear of corn, cooked by grilling, roasting, steaming
4 Kale leaves, chiffonade (so thinly sliced) Make sure these are dry and lightly oiled.
1) Drizzle the cauliflower head with at least a Tbl of the oil, sat and pepper. Roast at 375 degrees in the oven for about 30-60 minutes (depending on the size of the head). It should be golden brown and very fork tender.
2) While that is cooking, get 1 tsp of oil hot in a saute pan, throw in the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms and zucchini and saute for another 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with lemon juice. Add the capers.
3) In the last 15 minutes of cooking the cauliflower (so when it’s close to being done), add the lightly sauteed veggies. Let them cook for 7-10 minutes. Then drizzle the kale over the dish. Bake for 5-7 more minutes. You are essentially making crispy kale over the dish.
4) When it’s all cooked, golden and fork tender, take it our of the oven, drizzle with 2 Tbl of oil, vinegar, lemon zest and fresh herbs.
5) Serve with brown rice tortilla, a favorite grilled meat or fish, some whole grains. Add some Pesto, Romesco or Love your Liver Artichoke Dip.