…say what! Yum is you should all be saying. This is a rich sauce because of the olive oil. Such a healthy fat, you can indulge with none of the guilt and all of the pleasure. Serve with lightly sauteed, steamed or roasted veggies and/or over brown rice, GF pasta, polenta, quinoa or amarynth.
Meatballs in a creamy lemon and pesto sauce:
1 pound of extra lean ground beef, chicken breast or turkey breast (or some combo, organic, local and grass fed)
4 tsp olive oil, divided
1/3 medium sized onion, diced
1 Tbl fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pinch of oregano
1 tsp each real salt and pepper (plus more to season the sauce to taste with)
2 Tbl GF panko breadcrumbs (to make healthier, substitute brown rice, amarynth, quinoa, almond meal)
1/8 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 c almond milk, plain and unsweetened
1 Tbl homemade basil pesto or fresh chopped basil
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Heat 2 tsp of oil in a oven safe pan that has a tight fitting lid. Then add the onions on medium/high heat. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Next add the garlic. Saute for 2-3 more minutes. Add the breadcrumbs (or grain) and brown for 2-3 more minutes. Transfer to a glass or stainless bowl to cool.
3) Once mixture is cool, add the meat, oregano, parsley and s and p. Form into meatball size (2 inch rounds, a little bigger than a golf ball).
4) Go back to the original pan (no need to clean it after sauteing the onion etc. Lots of flavor there that you want to keep). Heat up 2 tsp oil on medium/high heat. Brown the meatballs for about 3 minutes before flipping to another side. Brown 2 sides of each. Then add 3/4 c water.
5) Cover and put in the oven. Back about 15 minutes until meat is cooked.
6) Take the meatballs out of the pan. It will have lovely dripping and liquid. Add lemon juice. Reduce on a simmer for about 5 minutes. You will notice it starts reducing. Add the basil or pesto and continue to simmer for a few minutes so the flavors can blend.
7) Whisk in 1/4 c of the milk until it’s incorporated, about 5 minutes then add the remaining milk while whisking for a few more minutes. Season with s and p as you like.
8) Return the meatballs to the pan. Get the sauce all around them and simmer for 3 -5 more minutes.
9) Serve with veggies and over a grain, pasta, polenta…whatever you like. Enjoy!!!