Hi all! I decided to try making a processed sugar free version of my original Chocolate ‘Nuf Said Ice Cream recipe posted last summer with less of the arrowroot powder. I also used all almond milk, omitting the coconut to decrease the fat. I am very pleased with this light and refreshing version that still has a lot of great flavor.
Chocolate and Berry Swirl Almond Ice Cream:
! 1/4 c plus 1/4 c almond milk, unsweetened (or 1 1/2 c divided)
1/4 coconut sugar
1/4 c maple syrup
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/8 c cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp arrowroot powder
Berry swirl see below
1) Whisk together the 1/4 c milk and arrowroot powder. Set aside.
2) Place the 1 1/4 c milk, sugars, chocolate, cocoa and salt in a pan and bring to a bowl, whisking often.
3) Whisk in the milk/arrowroot mixture. It will thicken slightly. Add vanilla and cool.
4) Make the berry swirl. See below. Cool.
5) One all is cool. Spin the ice cream. Once done, fold in the swirl and freeze.
1 pint of berries (I used strawberries but they are all in season and beautiful.
2 Tbl water
2 Tbl fresh squeezed o.j.
1 Tbl honey
Pinch of salt and any other flavors (cinnamon, ginger…)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1) Simmer all the ingredients except vanilla about 20 minutes. Puree with whatever blender you have (immersion works great).
2) Add vanilla.
3) Strain if you would like. I didn’t but that is a textural preference. Use as much in the ice cream as you would like. I had some leftover that I enjoyed as jam the morning.